CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hale Center Theatre tour



 

Last week Hale Center Theatre had an open house celebrating their 25 years.  Ben and I have season tickets so we go every other month to a show.  I thought it would be fun to take the kids so they can see where it is that mom and dad go so often.  I was so excited, but when it got closer I really debated whether or not I really wanted to. But the kids wanted to go so I bucked up and went.  I'm glad we did. 

Right now "The Wedding Singer" is playing.  When they did their first show 25 years ago it was about a wedding, too.  So when we walked in it was decorated as if entering a wedding reception - guest book and all. 

They had wedding reception food (cake, chicken salad on croissants, nuts and mints, and fruit kabobs).  The table were really high and came up to Sara's and Evan's chins and they had no chairs.  That was a little inconvenient, but I found somewhere for the kids to sit and eat their cake (the only thing they would touch).  

After that we went into the costume room where they had some past performances' costumes on display.  I had each of them chose their favorite one. 

Evan was trying to look brave like the soldier
  
And of course Kamri and Sara both chose a pretty dress
 
 listening to the guy tell about the stage

We then went on a tour of the "behind the scenes".  We learned about the auditions and practices, the greenery room, the dressing rooms, stage, and how the costumes come about.  The costume process starts one year before the production starts and 6 months before they even hold auditions.  I have a greater appreciation for all of it.  I usually go and just enjoy the play, but now I realize all the work that goes into it and hopefully will enjoy them even more.

Their stage is actually really cool.  It moves around and up and down and lights up and a bunch of other stuff all with the push of one button (after it's all programmed of course).  I've always wondered how they do it and still don't understand it all.

It was really fun and a good summer activity.

1 comments:

Trista said...

I can't believe you don't tell me about these things. Hmph!